Sunday, December 28, 2008

Reflections on 'o8

New years eve is approaching fast... it really seems as though this past year went by much too quickly. Last year's new years eve party doesn't seem too far away... before I knew it, it was spring. Finishing up school, working the busy season at the greenhouse... Spring then whizzed on to summer. Summer was great. At the beginning early June we went to the cottage with Lemstra's. Thats always great fun! (except when Derek scared me so bad I honestly thought I was going to die -even if it was only for a split second- I thought he was a bear (it was dark... dont blame me :-P) I worked two days a week at the greenhouse, and two days at the Library a week. There were some really good times at the greenhouse... working with Marissa and Kelsey was actually pretty fun. Unless of course there were those days that never seemed to end. The songs that played on the radio were usually ones that we were sick of.. then there was that time when that song played when we were all tired and the clock wasn't moving (honestly... time was standing still!) The lyrics were "Time goes by... so slowly" and then it repeated itself over and over again. On one of the hottest days too, they had to torture us with playing a Christmas song. Then the bell rang for break and we all ran to the lake and had enough time for a dip before break was over. (The lake was awesome! We always jumped in on the hot days...)
The end of summer came way too fast. But, I was happy when it was nearing its end because thats when Tamarack was! I had so much fun there this past year! The speakers were awesome, I loved the discussions (in the cabins, after the seminars) It was great meeting all new people! I took home so many new friends. I loved volleyball! What can I say? Its an awesome sport! Oh, and soccer... and I liked hockey too. Basketball though?? I'm not saying its because we lost... but its not the greatest sport :-P. Ok, maybe I am saying that because we lost.. but still, it taught us "humbleness" lol.
The Sunday right after tamarack was the 31'st of August... does that day mean anything to you? Well, that was the day I turned 16! (and no, I still haven't gone for my beginner's yet... ) Fall came, and with it school, evening library shifts, jujitsu, skating, guitar lessons, kingdom seekers (of which I'm a jr councilor), and also hymnsings... (of which I miss alot!!)
Fall turned into Winter... not really so fast seeing as we didn't get snow. We didn't get anything that stayed before last week's storm really. Soon enough though, without the snow, the Christmas music began, the shopping started, and the fancy dinners came. I was now allowed to sing my favorite Christmas songs without being out of season (YAY!) And since my guitar teacher taught me a whole bunch of Christmas songs I was able to play along with them! :-)

This past year I've changed alot. I find that I've grown spiritually alot more, I've made new friends, found out who really matters, done things I've never tried before, and heard many things that have changed me (in ways of seminar's and great things from speakers.) I've started guitar, which is one of the things I'd never tried before. I find that I really like it! Another thing that I tried and found out I liked was writing free verse and poetry which I hope you all like as much as I like writing it! :-)

I'm really looking forward to 2009 and all the new things that will be happening for me then! Lord willing in 2009 I'll be taking my profession of faith before the congregation of Trinity ORC, I'll be starting grade 12 (my last year of school!) I'll turn 17. Hopefully I'll become better at guitar and my writing. I'm looking forward to everything that God has in His plans for me.

So what is your highlights of 2008? How has God been good to you this past year? And what are you looking forward to in the coming year? :-)

6 comments:

Sarah by the Sea said...

stay tuned to see what God had in store for ME in 2008! He has certainly been working in you, and I'm loving it! :D It's great to look back and see how far God's taken us!!

It's called sanctification!! :)

Brittany Bakker said...

Ooh, I'll for sure be waiting and reading your blog to see His faithfulness in you! :-)

btw, I love how you write how you're persevering sanctification and such right below your picture. (I think someone commented on that bfore? Not sure..)

Ok, this is random, but from where I am I can hear an owl right now, and its so cool. It reminds me of the diverse and amazingly designed creation God made...

God is good.

Brittany Bakker said...

Last night at our new years eve service I found out how many couples in our church got married, how many families joined, etc (I kinda knew... but still)
2008 was the year of a dozen weddings, eight families joined, six young people made profession of faith, and there were nine baptisms..

Heidi said...

very nice post. Wow, God has certainly blessed your church this year!!!

I couldn't even begin to list my highlights... God is so amazing in so many ways.

Looking forward to seeing everything in store for 2009!

Brittany Bakker said...

Oh, and I just found out a couple days ago my cousin is expecting again! It'll be her third and she has two adorable boys (benjamin who is three and levi who is one... not totally sure about the ages, but around there)

Anonymous said...

lol! basketball... "humbleness" indeed! :) Great recap! :)

lol, I started a list last spring and I recorded (or at least attempted to record... :b) all the highlights of the year so that I wouldn't forget them... but not many of great consequence... ;b

Looking forward to 2009!!! May God have ALL the glory!!!! :)