Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Downhill... Boarding

I'm gonna start off by saying that yesturday was AWESOME! I had alot of fun :-). At the beginning of the day I reeeally sucked... but then, something clicked, and then I had alot more fun because I got it. Ok, I fell alot, but not as much, and I had a bunch of straight runs without falling. Ok, I'm not sure where to start this... but I'll just start typing and see where it ends up.

I was at the top of the snow covered hill, below me where scattered skiers and boardings making their way down, some more slowly than others. I let myself start down the hill, slowly at first, but then I started to gain some speed... if you could call it that. The cold wind blew all around me as I fought for control of the board. A few wisps of my hair escaped the confines of my loose ponytail and blew into my face. Just when I thought I had control of the board, I unexpectedly fell. My head banged the ground hard, and my board spun around taking my body with it. Only feeling a bit sore, I got right back up on my board and tried to make my way to the bottom of the hill again.
I fell a few more times before I finally made it to the lift. I was really excited to see one of my best friends there.
I tried again, on a different hill and made it down most of the way, then I saw my brother on the ground a little ways ahead of me. For a little while I wasn't concentrating on what I was doing, and the edge of my board had caught on the snow. I flew forward, my arms extended, I slid on my stomach for a few seconds before I finally stopped. I looked over to my brother to see him laughing at me and heard him say something along the lines of "superman flip out". I rolled over onto my back and sat up. Snow found its way to the back of my neck and was slowly melting down my back. I cringed as it dripped leaving me chilled.
Soon enough I was back at the top of the hill. So far I loved boarding... but it hadn't quite clicked yet. There she was, my friend beside me showing me something on her board, I tried to do what she did, but ended up face planting instead. I got up, and went down the hill for a bit and tried it again... still, it didn't quite click. After a few more runs, and my friend teaching me and giving me help, I did it! Finally, but then, my joy was cut short as I fell forward. Once again, it didn't hurt enough for me to stop, so I got back on my board, and tried again.
After that, it was almost like something clicked. I went down various other hills with some friends and practiced, and I actually didn't fall about half of those runs!
It was getting close to the closing time, and only one hill was open, I tried to get on that hill as many times as possible before we were unable to anymore.
The crisp fresh air felt good in my lungs and the board felt almost comfortable. I had a small amount of speed (and yet probably the most I had that day) and the wind in my face felt good. I fell down once that run, but I was back up almost before I even fell.
I had loved that day, but, at the end of the day I was tired, sore, and ready for it to be over... almost.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

glad you had fun!!!

and I'm glad you didn't mind all my bossing you around. lol

You did improve super much from when I first saw you board!

Brittany Bakker said...

Bossing around? More like getting the best advice from someone who's awesome at boarding! I really appreciate all the help you gave me! Oh, and waiting for me when I took forever coming down the hill.

Anonymous said...

lol! don't ya love boarding? ;)

Brittany Bakker said...

boarding is AWESOME!
We should board together sometime eh? That'd be cool!